Dear colleagues and members of the general public:
Thank you for visiting the Young Lawyers Division (YLD) section of the Hillsborough County Bar Association (HCBA) website. We are proud to have one of the largest and strongest young lawyers divisions in the state. Our success is rooted in our membership and the support each of our dedicated young lawyers provide in all facets of the YLD. The mission of the YLD is to support the initiatives and goals of the HCBA, promote professionalism and ethical conduct, provide guidance and support to new lawyers, provide educational opportunities for our members, organize programs and events of interest to young lawyers and encourage community involvement. Through the hard work and dedication of almost 1,000 lawyers under the age of 36, or with less than five years of experience who comprise our constituency, we sponsor a multitude of service projects, a sampling of which includes:
- Cornhole for a Cause – The YLD hosts this tournament annually in partnership with Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) and the Tampa Bay Lightning to raise funds and awareness for BBBS' programs in the local community.
- Holidays in January – This event brings together foster children, foster parents and young lawyers in the Tampa Bay area for a fun-filled day of activities and holiday gift-giving.
- Hon. Robert J. Simms Hillsborough County High School Mock Trial Competition – This competition is also held annually and presided over by volunteer members of the local judiciary.
- Law Week – This event occurs annually for a week in May and the YLD offers tours of the courthouse, mock trials and school house speaking engagements for the children of Hillsborough County.
- Steak and Sports Day – Every year, the YLD hosts a day of grilling and outdoor fun with local at-need children.
- Various Pro Bono Services – The YLD focuses on several pro bono projects throughout the year including the Attorney Ad Litem program and the Family Forms Clinic.
To provide guidance and support to new lawyers, as well as, opportunities for our members to network and grow professionally, the YLD also holds the following events:
- Coffee at the Courthouse – This is an annual event that allows young lawyers an opportunity to interact and with the judiciary from the 13th Judicial Circuit.
- Golf Tournament – This is a long standing tradition of the YLD and is a fun event for lawyers, judges and business professionals to network with each other while supporting the efforts of the YLD.
- Judicial Shadowing – Once a year, the YLD provides the opportunity for young lawyers to shadow judges for a half-day program, whereby participants can ask questions and receive mentoring directly from the bench.
- Quarterly Luncheons – The YLD hosts quarterly luncheons including the annual Judicial Appreciation Luncheon and an annual CLE luncheon.
- State Court Trial Seminar – This is a CLE seminar held annually that focuses on trial practice and skills, presented by many top trial attorneys in Hillsborough County.
- Various other social and marketing events that provide young lawyers with the experience and resources they need to develop into future community leaders.
If you are a member of the Hillsborough County Bar Association, or simply thinking about membership, please consider joining the YLD team. I look forward to seeing you at one of our YLD events soon!
Rachael L. Greenstein
President, Young Lawyers Division
Please visit us on Facebook