12 - 2 PM
Map this event »
Chester H. Ferguson Law Center
1610 N Tampa St.
Tampa, Florida 33602
« Go to Upcoming Event List
Domestic Violence: It’s Not Just the Victim’s Problem
with a panel to follow on Domestic Violence and Family Mediation
2.0 CLE credits (applied for)
Domestic Violence, It’s not just the Victim’s Problem
• Signs of DV in Mediation: How might a relationship that involves DV present itself to a mediator?
• Traits of a Batterer: What raises a red flag
• Costs of DV: financial, emotional, productivity, time
Panel on Domestic Violence in Mediation
Courtney Bowes, Jill Lowe, David Swindall
• Preserving the integrity of the mediation process
• Maintaining neutrality
• Declaring impasse
• Eliminating possibility of duress
• Tips for mediating a case with domestic violence
• Screening case
• Separate rooms
• Safety measures
• Handling pro se parties with no attorneys present
• War stories
Courtney Bowes, is very involved in the Tampa area family law community. She was recently elected by her peers to serve as the President of the Executive Council of the family law section of the Hillsborough County Bar Association. She has served as the featured lecturer at the Tampa Center for Women and the Stetson Law School Family Law Society.
Jill Lowe, is the HCBA Marital and Family Law Section Chair, Board Certified in Marital and Family Law, Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Mediator, Partner at Jill G. Lowe, PA
David E. Swindall is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with more than 35 years of experience. Since 1988, has been a leader in addressing domestic violence in the community. Director of a state Certified Batterer’s Intervention program.