Coronavirus (COVID-19): HCBA Updates, Information and Resources
Monday, March 23, 2020
Posted by: John Kynes
The Hillsborough County Bar Association (HCBA) continues to monitor developments related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and will keep you updated you via this webpage, HCBA Weekly, emails, and social media as news develops that affects our members and the legal community.
Read the message sent out on April 10 from HCBA President Grace Yang with an update on HCBA meetings and operations.
Please be aware the HCBA, in the interest of the health and safety of our members and staff, has canceled all in-person HCBA meetings through May 31. Section and committee leaders are being asked to postpone, cancel, or transition previously scheduled meeting or events to an electronic or virtual format.
The HCBA office at the Ferguson Law Center closed on March 23 with certain HCBA staff working remotely to continue essential functions. Call 813.221.7777 if urgent.
In addition, the HCBA's Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) is now set up to operate remotely. If a client or someone you know needs a lawyer referral, please ask them to call the Lawyer Referral Service at 813.221.7780, or have them go to the HCBA's website for information about the program.
MOST RECENT COVID-19 COURT ORDERS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
No. ASOC20-32, May 21: The Florida Supreme Court issued a new order establishing health & safety precautions to be used in Phase 2 of the expansion of court operations.
No. ASOC20-31, May 21: The Florida Supreme Court issued an order creating a new pilot program for civil jury trials to be held using remote technology.
Florida Supreme Court "Best Practices" Remote Procedures Guidelines, May 11: Florida Supreme Court Justice Charles Canady "Best Practices" Guidelines Developed by COVID-19 Statewide Workgroup to Navigate Remote Procedures in State Courts
No. AOSC20-23, Admendment 1, May 4: Florida Supreme Court Justice Charles Canady Emergency Order Expanding Remote Hearings and Suspending Jury Trials into Early July Statewide
EO No. 20-112, April 29: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Phase I Recovery Plan to Re-Open Florida
No. AOSC20-28, April 21: The Florida Supreme Court issued a new administrative order: Workgroup on the Continuity of Court Operations and Proceedings During and After COVID-19
Administrative Order S-2020-23, April 15: Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Administrative Order - Court Proceedings During COVID-19 Mitigation Efforts - Phase II
No. AOSC20-27, April 9:The Florida Supreme Court issued a new administrative order extending deadlines through May 29, 2020, in some Bar regulatory procedures governing lawyer advertising and investigations of attorney misconduct
Case No. SC20-392, April 9: The Florida Supreme Court has amended Bar rules to allow the chief justice to “suspend, extend, toll, or otherwise change time periods, deadlines, or standards imposed by the Rules Regulating the Florida Bar, orders, or opinions” and take related actions during health and other emergencies.
• No. AOSC20-23, April 6: Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Charles Canady Admin. Order Extending State Court COVID Emergency Procedures Through the End of May
• EO No. 20-91, April 1: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Safer-At-Home Order through April 30
• March 27: Hillsborough County Safer-At-Home Order to prevent the further spread of COVID-19
• No. AOSC20-18, March 27: Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Charles Canady Emergency Order on Family Visitation in Child Dependency Cases Through April 17
• No. A0SC20-17, March 24: Florida Supreme Court Chief Justice Charles Canady Admin. Order Suspending Jury Trials Through April 17
• No. AOS-2020-019, March 18: Thirteenth Judicial Circuit Administrative Order S-2020-019 Re COVID-19 Mitigation Efforts -- Essential and Critical Court Proceedings
• COVID-19 Advisory, March 17: Chief Judge Ronald Ficarrotta, Thirteenth Judicial Circuit COVID-19 Advisory: Limited Courthouse Access
• March 13: U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, Chief Judge Steven D. Merryday Order: Restrictions on Visitors to Federal Courthouses in Middle District of Florida
Florida Supreme Court - Court News
The Florida Bar - Court Orders & News
Thirteenth Judicial Circuit - COVID-19 Updates
HCBA MEETINGS, CLE STATUS
The HCBA will continue to update members regarding the rescheduling and cancellation of upcoming HCBA meetings and CLEs through its regular communications and social media channels.You also can click on the HCBA Calendar to get the latest meeting and event information. Selected in-person meetings and CLEs are moving to web-based virtual meeting technology.
HEALTH & WELLNESS RESOURCES
• Florida Bar Mental Health Helpline
• Florida Bar Health & Wellness Center
VOLUNTEER INFORMATION, HOW TO MAKE AN IMPACT
• Florida Bar YLD - Florida's ABA Free Legal Answers Platform
• Metropolitan Ministries - Matching Gift From Attorney Steve Yerrid
• Feeding Tampa Bay
• Bay Area Legal Services (BALS)
• United Way Suncoast
• One Tampa
• CNN Impact
COVID-19 WEB RESOURCES
• American Bar Association
• World Health Organization (WHO)
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
• Thirteenth Judicial Circuit
• Florida Second District Court of Appeal
• Hillsborough County Clerk of Court & Comptroller
• Florida Supreme Court
• U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
• The Florida Bar
• Florida State Court System
• Florida Department of Health
• City of Tampa
• Hillsborough County
• Tampa Bay Times (latest coronavirus news)
• Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association
• Tampa Bay Chamber (business resources)
• Bay Area Legal Services (BALS)